2004 Main Street,
14 people favorited this theater
Built in 1921, as the Lyric Theatre, the theatre was created by Northampton’s Harry Hartman (an owner of several area nickelodeons) to provide more seating and stage area for local vaudeville performances. It was designed by architect E. Biting.
Hit hard by the Depression, Hartman sold the theatre in 1933 to Clark and Greenberg Theatres of Philadelphia. They closed the theatre and completely renovated it in the popular Art Deco style. Prominent Philadelphia theatre architect David Supowitz was hired to design the new look, which included reducing the seating capacity to 650. The theatre reopened on August 31, 1933 completely transformed, with a new name…the Roxy Theatre.
In the early-1960’s, after a decade of fierce competition with television, Clark and Greenberg gave up their lease to new management. By June 1, 1970 when the theatre was acquired by Angstadt and Wolfe Theatres, it was only a shadow of its former glory. A&W began a slow and long drawn-out restoration of the theatre that still continues to this day.
In 1988, A&W partner Richard C. Wolfe acquired complete control and ownership of the theatre. Wolfe renovated the lobby, restored the exterior to its original appearance, and added new seating and carpeting. A Wurlitzer 2 manual, 6 ranks organ was installed in 1995.
In addition to live entertainment, the theatre continues to operate as Northampton’s only commercial movie theater.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater