Thorpe's Opera House
465 D Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Opera House was built in the style of most Midwestern opera houses of the day; a multi-story building, with business space available below the upstairs performing arts auditorium. When W. B. Thorpe opened his three story brick opera house on the south side of the court house square in 1889, the community boasted one of the most beautifully designed and best-equipped opera houses in Nebraska. The opening night audience sat on walnut stained hoop-backed chairs and faced double-tiered, velour-draped boxes on both sides of the main stage.
A U-shaped balcony extended from the boxes on each side leading back to a third floor multi-tiered gallery in the rear of the auditorium which increased the seating capacity to 1,000 patrons. The balcony seating was later removed.
Much of the theatrical entertainment, which appeared at the opera house both before and after the turn of the century, arrived in David City via one of the three railroads that served the town.
The Thorpe was used as a dance hall in the 1920’s, a sparring space for a local prize fighter, a basketball court in the 1930’s and 1940’s, a stage for school activities and plays and as a movie house and storage house in the 1950’s…and then sat empty.
The building was added to the NRHP in 1988 #88000941
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater