27 The Homend,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Ledbury, to the north of Hereford on The Homend at the corner of Bank Cresent. The auditorium of the Cinema House was built at the rear of Bank House, a Tudor style building and was designed by local architect John Powell. It was opened on 3rd August 1914 with" The Last Days of Pompeii". On 20th October 1930 it was equipped with a British Thompson Houston(BTH) sound system and showed its first ‘talkie “The Desert Song” starring John Boles. The Cinema House was being operated by Craven Cinemas when it was closed on 4th February 1961 with James Garner in “Cash McCall” and Alan Ladd in “Guns of the Timberland”.
New operators took over and the cinema was redecorated and re-opened as the Spotlight Cinema on 25th August 1961 with Elvis Presley in “Flaming Star” and the silent film compilation “When Comedy Was King”. It was a short lived venture and the Spotlight Cinema was closed 31st March 1962 with Allen Bates in “Whistle Down the Wind”. and “The Long Shadow”.
It was converted into retail use, at some time being a video rental store. In 2015 it is Wyatt’s Home & Garden store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater