Watling Street and Richmond Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Towcester, Northamptonshire, next to Silverstone Brook on the south side of the town, close to Towcester Race Course. It was built by Lord Hesketh as a gift to the town and to his movie-loving American wife Florence Louise Breckinridge. The Towcester Cinema was opened on 5th December 1939 with Don Ameche & The Ritz Brothers in “The Three Musketeers” & Henry Arthur in “Road Demon”. It was designed in a Modernist style, influenced by the style of Dutch architect Willem Dudok. The architect was W. Edmond (Ted) Fancott of architectural firm Sir John Brown, Curtis & Henson. It was equipped with a British Acoustic(BA) sound system. An unusual feature was a private box (with its own seperate entrance) built into the underhang in the front of the circle.
In 1965 it began to operate on Fridays' as a bingo club. The Towcester Cinema was closed on 30th June 1973, and it stood unused until 1983 when it was demolished and housing was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater