No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on Bratton Road in Westbury, Wiltshire. The Laverton Hall was an early cinema which was operated by the Albany Ward Circuit by 1914. In those days the Albany Ward Circuit was known to have taken over public hall’s to show films and the Laverton Hall on Bratton Road was one of them. It was later re-named Picture House.
The Laverton (as it is known today) was built in 1873 and was designed in an Italianate style by architect William Jarvis Stent. It has a hall upstairs on the first floor, which was possibly the Picture House. The Laverton is now in use as a community art centre and is a Grade II Listed building.
By the 1920’s the Picture House was operated by Mr. A.F. Gunstone. It had closed by 1934, possibly never having been equipped for talkies? Competition possibly came from the new Vista Cinema in the town which opened around 1920.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater