Queen's Picture House
101 Poulton Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Seacombe district of Wallasey, Cheshire. The Queen’s Picturedrome was opened on 4th November 1911. The attractive façade had a semi-circular central feature, which was topped by an open cupola dome. Seating in the auditorium was provided for 800, all on a single sloping floor. The original silent screen was painted on the back wall and was surrounded by a decorative plaster frame.
When sound films were introduced in 1930 it was re-named Queen’s Picture House and a new proscenium was built, with speakers behind a new screen. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system and the first talkie programme was Coleen Moore in “Smiling Irish Eyes” and a comedy “Beach Babes”. It was equipped with CinemaScope in the mid-1950’s.
The Queen’s Picture House was closed on 18th July 1959 with Frankie Vaughan and Anna Neagle in “The Lady is a Square” and “Gun Battle in Monterey”.
It was converted into a car showroom, and later into a supermarket. The front of the building has been removed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater