Coliseum Picture Palace
Little Bridge Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Coliseum Picture Palace was built for the South Street Competitions in 1908 and was one of the largest cinemas in Australia at the time. It was located behind Athenaeum Hall on the corner of Grenville Street and Little Bridge Street in Ballarat’s Central Business District with the entrance facing onto Little Bridge Street. The Coliseum Picture Palace was leased by Paramount Pictures who ran “talkies” from the single screen and could accommodate 4,000 seats.
The Coliseum Picture Palace and Anthenaeum Hall were destroyed by fire on March 23rd 1936 and not rebuilt. The only building on the site to survive the fire with minimal damage was the Manchester Unity Hall, which still stands today. On the location today are several small stores, a seniors citizen centre and a car park. A walkway between The Bridge Mall and Little Bridge Street was name Coliseum Walk in memory of the lost Coliseum Picture Palace.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.