Mount Magnet Cinema
Hepburn Street and Naughton Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on Hepburn Stret at the southeast corner of Naughton Street. A building was constructed in 1896 for the Miners' Institute. There may have been screenings there from September 1900 to December 1904. In 1934, the Anzac Memorial Hall was built with the former Miners Institute incorporated into the complex as a Lesser Hall. Films may have screened there from 1930 to 1946, and at various times in the 1960’s. The Picture Gardens opened in about 1937.
On 3rd December 1969, a fierce fire completely destroyed both the Memorial Hall and the Lesser Hall(Miners institute) despite the best efforts of the Volunteer Fire Brigade. When the next hall was built, the gardens was retained behind a extension of the red brick facade. The new hall may have screened pictures in the 1970’s. The Picture Gardens is still screening pictures and is now called Mount Magnet Cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater