Texan Theatre

206 W. Texas Avenue,
Baytown, TX 77520

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

1929 photo courtesy Daryl Jones via the Traces Of Texas Facebook page

The Texan Theatre was opened in 1926, when the area was still called Goose Creek, Texas. I have two photos from that era. By 1941 it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Julius Gordon. The Texan Theatre was still open in 1955, but had closed by 1957. The original facade was removed when it was remodeled into the current restaurant Cork Grinders.

There is little information about the Texan Theatre, except photographic proof that it did exist. Photos on the Traces Of Texas Facebook page, and comments from those who remodeled it.

Contributed by David Zornig

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on October 28, 2015 at 10:10 am

The city was originally Goose Creek Texas.
Via Texas State Historical Association Online:

Actual consolidation of the Tri-Cities began when Pelly annexed unincorporated Baytown under the rules of home-rule charter on December 7, 1945. The population of Goose Creek was 9,928, and by the annexation that of Pelly became 11,030-large enough to annex Goose Creek under state law. After a legal struggle, consolidation became a reality on January 24, 1948. With the adoption of the new charter of the city of Baytown, Goose Creek ceased to exist as a separate town.

Below is via the Traces Of Texas Facebook page.

Weston Davis: “When we remodeled the old Texan Theater for Cork Grinders the original facade was delapidated and literally falling down. The back of the original facade and the upper deck can still be seen in the building. The original rafters are still in place along with the original brick inside wall. The vast majority of the wood used to build the bathrooms, kitchen, and bar were re-used from the demolition of the original parts of the building that were is disrepair.”

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on March 15, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Opened in 1926 by Howard E. Brunson when Huey & Frotenberry built Goose Creek’s second commercial block. Burnson would close and demolish his other silent-era house, the Palace, when sound films came around. Brunson wrote that he closed the Texan Theatre in February of 1953. It may well have re-opened under other operators.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater