6764 Hollywood Boulevard,
25 people favorited this theater
The former Hollywood Theatre was opened on December 20, 1913 as a silent movie palace in the rapidly emerging Hollywood Theater district. It was designed in a Romanesque style, by architects Kremple & Erkes. The facade had glazed brick. The lobby was in marble tile and the auditorium was decorated with Corinthian columns and a coffered ceiling. In September 1923, a Wurlitzer organ, Opus 697 was installed.
The Hollywood Theatre was first remodeled in 1927. In 1938, Claude Beelman and Clifford A. Balch designed a new Art Deco & Moderne style interior, and the neon marquee we see today was added, designed by S. Charles Lee. It was one of the first to be installed with angled side panels to catch the eyes of passing motorists.
After decades of showing movies, the seedy, dilapidated state of Hollywood Boulevard doomed the theater and it was closed by Mann’s Theatres in 1992. It was converted in the mid-1990’s into a venue for the Guinness Book of World Records.
The marquee was always the best element of the theater, and it has been saved and integrated into the building’s current facade.
Fox West Coast Theatres, which ran the Hollywood for many years as a second run move-over house for the Chinese Theatre down the street, used the same design when it built the Granada Theatre in Wilmington, CA.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater