Nuvic Cinema

1 Long Lane,
Sedbergh, LA10 5AH

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Nuvic Cinema

In Cumbria, in the small town of Sedbergh, the Cinema was not listed in the 1914 Kinematograph Year Book, but it was in the 1927 edition. It was listed as simply “Cinema”, as it was in 1940 and 1953, but by the 1962 edition it was called the Nuvic Cinema.

In 1931 the lessee was Victor Besso; by 1940 W. D. Clarke is shown as the owner. At that time a proscenium width of 24ft was noted. Mr Clarke was still the proprietor in the 1953 edition.

The Nuvic Cinema closed in the mid-1970’s. The building has since been drastically altered (it was pretty unrecognisable as a cinema on my visit, in July 2005!). Since then, as Sedbergh has developed as a ‘book town’, the building has undergone further development, and is home to Westwood Books.

Contributed by David Simpson

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

HJHill
HJHill on June 23, 2016 at 1:16 pm

In the 1927 Kinematograph Year Book the Sedbergh entry is just “Cinema” with no other information at all. In KYB 1928 there is a full entry; it is being run by a Victor Besso, who is still running it in KYB 1933 when there is no sound system listed. In KYB 1935 it has an Electrocord sound system and is being run by W D Clark (no ‘e’). It is still Electrocord and Clark in the KYB 1957 entry.

The building is interesting. If the auditorium rake followed the fall of the land, an entrance at the road end would have been at the screen end. Otherwise, the rake would have gone below ground level at the screen end away from the road. A blocked up side exit is just discernible in the above photo and in the Google Streetview.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater