135 Ivyhouse Lane,
No one has favorited this theater yet
In the small town of Coseley, once in Staffordshire, but now a suburb not far from Wolverhampton, in 1912, William Page, a cabinet-maker from Walsall, decided to build a cinema. He formed a partnership with a Mr Cook and they gained planning permission in December 1912.
Having built their cinema, the partners applied for their licence in March 1913, and the Coseley Picture House opened that spring.
William Page lived opposite the cinema, which quickly became known as “Page’s”. Later on, Mr Cook’s son-in-law became the second partner, but he was bought out by Mr. Page, who ran the cinema by himself until his death in the mid-1930’s, when the cinema passed to his son, William John Page (who also took over his father’s cabinet-making business).
In the early years the front rows were bare benches (later upholstered), with tip-up seats at the rear. Piano accompaniment was provided by a Mr. Cox, who was a painter and decorator during the day.
Children’s matinees were held on Tuesdays and Saturdays, but the young patrons had to use a side entrance.
Gyrotone sound equipment was installed in the early-1930’s. When some of the benches were replaced by tip-up seats the seating capacity was reduced from 500 to 450.
About 1950 W.J. Page sold the cinema to Messrs L. Wilde and L. Poole, who renamed it the Cosy Cinema.
Unfortunately, the new owners were unable to keep up with their private mortgage payments and, as patrons drifted away, the Cosy Cinema closed during 1957. The building was repossessed by W.J. Page, but the council refused his request for change of use to light industry or warehousing.
In the event, it became the Coseley Ex-Servicemen’s Club, which opened in 1961.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater