Merton Road and Ploughley Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Ambrosden Cinema was one of three on the enormous army site near Bicester, in Oxfordshire. Built on requisitioned land in 1941, it was a Romney building (a Nissen-style hut built on grander lines) with a brick-built entrance and projection block.
It was equipped as a theatre and cinema, with a sloping floor and large stage.
It appears to have stopped showing films around 1948, and was later used for boxing and as an indoor rifle range.
It became disused around 1955 and was eventually declared redundant, and sold back to the family that originally owned the land. The sloping floor and the stage were removed, large doors were inserted in one side and the building was used by a plant hire firm for some years. It was then used by a florist’s supply company.
The village of Ambrosden lies a short distance to the south of Bicester. The former cinema stands near to the junction where Merton Road meets Ploughley Road, behind houses on Merton Road and a motor garage on Ploughley Road. The entrance to the yard leading to the building is on Merton Road.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater