W. 3rd Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Prior to 1914 businessman Mark Thomas and his partner Jesse Wells constructed the Rex Theatre on W. 3rd Street. Wells later bought out Thomas. The building’s tin ceiling and the walls were covered with acoustic felt in 1930 and that same year, the Rex Theatre hosted Rifle’s first sound movie screening. The 1932 edition of the Film Daily Yearbook, the theatre was listed as seating 500 and had been wired for sound. Sometime after 1932, Wells sold the theatre to a new owner who changed its name to the Alamo Theatre. It was later sold to Fred and Mary Wells who already owned the Ute Theatre at 119 E. 3rd Street. For a time they operated both locations.
In 1943, the Linds decided to close the Alamo Theatre and reverted it back into a dance hall however in April of 1944, the Ute Theatre burned which prompted the Linds to convert the Alamo Theatre back into a temporary theatre while the Ute Theatre was rebuilt.
In the summer of 1947, Lind sold the building to the Moose Lodge and constructed the New Ute Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater