Rialto Picture House
2 Hallcraig Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the North Lanarkshire town of Airdrie. The Corn Exchange Hall was built in 1856 and was designed by architect James Thompson. It was used as a function hall and other entertainments as well as a market hall. Around 1908 it was re-named Hippodrome Theatre and ran as a variety theatre/music hall. Films were part of the programme from the early years of operation.
In 1928 it was re-named Rialto Picture Theatre. It was listed with 540 seats, a 26ft wide proscenium, a 10ft deep stage and five dressing rooms. It presented pictures and variety, and in 1929 was equipped with an Edibell sound system. Around 1936 this was replaced by a RCA sound system. By 1958 it was operated by the Loray Cinema Circuit Ltd. of Glasgow.
The Rialto Picture Theatre was closed in the mid-1960’s and was converted into a bingo club. This closed in 2007 and in 2015 the empty building was ‘For Sale’ as a development opportunity.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater