No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Bury, Lancashire, today part of Greater Manchester. Phillip’s Hall was opened in 1875. It was used for social functions and entertainments, which included Dioramas presented by Mr Hamilton. By 1896 it was reported that an animated picture show had been displayed here. Around the turn of the century it was taken over by the William H. Broadhead circuit and by 1904 after alterations it was re-named Hippodrome Theatre. It had three dressing rooms and three chorus rooms. Films were being presented on the Bioscope in 1909 as part of the variety programme.
In 1922 the Broadhead’s were running films with two shows nightly. Around 1929 it was equipped with a Precision sound system. This was replaced later in the 1930’s with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. By the end of the 1930’s it was operating as both a cinema and music hall presenting variety and was operated by Scala Theadome Co. Ltd.
The Hippodrome Theatre ceased showing films around 1956 and possibly closed as a variety theatre soon after. The Hippodrome Theatre was destroyed by fire in 1966.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater