209 E. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
This was the first and original Orpheum Theatre in Marshalltown, IA. It was opened February 27, 1913 and operated as a vaudeville house by Samuel Horowitz and M.C. Roskopf. It was designed by local architect Charles H. Eckman. At that time Horowitz & Roskopf were competing against the Isis Theatre, Colonial Theatre and Odeon Theatre. When the Odeon Theatre was doing well with films, it prompted the pair to rebrand the Orpheum Theatre to Casino Theatre on August 7, 1915.
The Casino Theatre was a big success and soon gets competition from the new Capitol Theatre virtually across the street at 220 E. Main Street. The Casino Theatre was equipped for sound films but eventually went out of business The building still exists in 2016.
The Orpheum name would be reused when the Capitol Theatre burned and the present Orpheum Theatre was built on its site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater