471 NW 3rd Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Miami Scottish Rite of Freemasons built the Scottish Rite Temple with an Egyptian motif for their Scottish Rite Masonic Center near Lummus Park and the Miami River, formally dedicating it as their organization’s home on March 12, 1924.
A photo of the exterior dated January 29, 1926 in the State Library and Archives of Florida shows the same building was also being used as the Temple Theater which had opened on January 24, 1926 with Florence Vidor in “Girl of Gold”, There were movie poster boxes out front and the words “Motion Pictures De Luxe” on the left of the theater’s sign. It was equipped with a ‘mighty’ organ which was opened by organist Frank Stanton.
The cinema did not last long closing in 1929. It reopened briefly in 1940, but the edifice continues to be used by the Miami Scottish Rite organization.
In 2016 the building is also being marketed as Park Place Miami, a space for holding special events. The “History of Park Place” page on their website states “The auditorium, [was] originally used as a silent movie theater (complete with a Skinner Pipe Organ)…”, and can now be rented out for theatrical productions.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater