Burgemeester Kuperusplein 52,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Introduction of the film in 1896. Film was introduced in Heerenveen by Christiaan Slieker in 1896, showman from Drachten. So he did in Leeuwarden, capital of Friesland, where a cinema is named after him. A large part of the public regarded this “devils cabinet” with distrust and felt threatened during this show and wanted to demolish it. Ghosts and apparitions were seen on the big screen, and there was no doubt, this was a warning from above about a near apocalypse. What was the case? They had mistakenly sent the film negatives … to Heerenveen. “This is the sign that the world perishes,” felt a panicked citizen, who tried to set fire to Mr. Slieker, to banish the devil. (Source: The Old Twist Box door Simon Collum)
The White Cinema. One of the oldest cinemas in Friesland was “De Witte Bioscoop” which opened the doors in 1912 at the “Vleesmarkt” street. This first part later became “De Oude Koemarkt” The name “White Cinema” was given to cinemas with a Christian slant. In these cinemas only certified family films without pungent images were shown. “White Cinemas” were usually closed on Sunday’s and were under the supervision of a church and school committee. Until the cinema law of March 1928 the Netherlands counted 24 “White Cinemas”. It is likely that the White Cinema in Heerenveen after entering the Film Censorship switched over to the display of “ordinary” films. The cinema sustained many years, but in 1973 this cinema lost the competition against the television.
Het Posthuis and De Bios. The Brothers Miedema started cinema shows in 1934 in “Het Posthuis”. The operation was continued by Brothers van der Wal in 1939. In 1946 the cinema Posthuis became a theatre. Up till now, “Het Posthuis” is a cultural center in Heerenveen. In 1985 again a cinema was established in the old building of “De Witte Bioscoop” called “Movieskoop”. Although this theatre was new, the shows were not a success. The theatre could not hire large (Hollywood) productions and was only able to show karate and other action movies. The large audience preferred to flock to the new “De Bios”, which opened in 1994. The shows in the Filmhuis at the same address were taken over by the Bios since 2014.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater