No one has favorited this theater yet
The Capitol Filmtheater was opened in 1928. It was equipped with a Welte 2Manual organ. During World War II it suffered extensive damage by Allied bombs.
In 1953 it was rebuilt to the plans of architect Artur Gerard and re-opened with 1,200 seats. It was the third largest cinema in the city. Due to the destruction of the Opera House during the war, the first production at the Capitol Filmtheater was not as a cinema but a production of the opera “L'Elisir d'Amor” by Donizetti. Opera use continued until the Opera House was rebuilt and reopened in 1956. The Capitol Filmtheater began life as a cinema on 2nd August 1956 and was equipped with CinemaScope. By the early-1960’s it had been equipped with 70mm projection. The Capitol Filmtheater was closed in 1969.
It was converted into a hardware store, still retaining most of its cinema decorations. In recent years it has been in use by an arts organisation named Message.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater