303 Pitt Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the city centre at the corner of Pitt Street and Park Street. The American Picture Palace was opened on 12th July 1912. On 9th October 1919 it was re-named Shell Theatre. It screened Paramount Pictures and was equipped with an organ. In 1928 it was re-named Arcadia Theatre.
Extensive alterations were carried out in 1935 and in an Art Deco style, it re-opened as the Cameo Theatre on 10th August 1935 with Carole Lombard in “Rumba” and Dixie Lee in “Love in Bloom”. It became the ‘The New Home of the Stars of Metro Goldwyn Mayer & Paramount Pictures’.
In 1946 it was taken over by the Hoyts Theatres chain and was re-named Esquire Theatre, initially a revival house, it later switched to screening British films. By 1968 it had been re-named Town Theatre screening lesser American films. By the mid-1970’s it had gone over to screening sex themed films, but not adult porn. This continued until at least 1981.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater