Academy Theatre

16 S. Halsted Street,
Chicago, IL 60661

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 6 comments

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on March 7, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Hmmm. I wonder if this place is where that Catholic Charities Thrift Store was until just recently. Just North of Dugan’s and across from Walgreens.

The thrift store building had very high tin ceilings, and a massive freight elevator in the rear. The 2nd floor was divided up kind of strangely too.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 7, 2009 at 7:35 pm

This June 1930 item in the Chicago Tribune calls the theater the Bijou Academy:

Harry Parker, a chauffeur, was sentenced to twenty days in the county jail for contempt yesterday by Judge Hayes in the Superior court for giving perjured testimony. Parker was a witness in the $50,000 damage suit brought against the Bijou Academy theater, 16 South Halsted street.

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on July 5, 2007 at 7:58 am

The Academy of Music in Chicago is listed in the 1897-98 edition of the Julius Cahn Official Theatrical Guide. E.P. Simpson was Mgr. and it had 2,450 seats. There was an orchestra floor and 2 balconies, and ticket prices ranged from 10 cents to 50 cents. The proscenium opening was 30 feet wide X 33 feet high, and the stage was 32 feet deep. The theatre was on the ground floor and there were 10 in the house orchestra.

Broan
Broan on November 30, 2006 at 7:51 am

Unfortunately linking to corbis doesn’t seem to work. You’d have to search for VV7531

Broan
Broan on August 19, 2006 at 12:16 pm

A corbis caption claims: “Photo shows the old Academy of Music, 16 South Halsted street, which was the first theater in the world to be lighted electrically, causing temporary chaos among the actors, who refused to go on, behind the bright footlights, not being properly "made up' properly.” It was built in 1878 and Oscar Cobb was architect. Originally held 2,450 seats.

Broan
Broan on November 12, 2005 at 6:09 am

There was apparently an early mural of Alfonso Iannelli’s here. Chicago Tribune, 4/7/1916 p20