Loew's Ames Theater
4215 North Main Street,
3 people favorited this theater
This beautiful neighborhood theater opened in 1949, across a driveway from the Northtown shopping center on North Main Street, in Dayton. It was opened by an independent operator and ran the theater until around 1967, when, as the story goes, the theater was sold away from his family due to the marriage of the son who married outside the religion.
The theater was bought by Loew’s and they remodeled the theater in a green, purple and blue motif. The theater played big first runs and had exclusive Dayton runs of “The Graduate” and “Romeo and Juliet”, to name a few. Loew’s then split it by putting a wall down the middle of the auditorium for the twin, leaving the small screens at the front of two narrow auditoriums.
Loew’s seems to have lost faith in the operation and turned the theater sub run at an 80 cent admission. In 1986, Loew’s closed this theater, and it became a camera shop.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater