Dudley Port and Groveland Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located at the corner of Dudley Port and Groveland Road, Tipton (which is between Dudley and West Bromwich in the Black Country district of the West Midlands). Originally a Salvation Army Citadel which was built in the late-1800’s, it was constructed out of currugated iron. In August 1902 it was converted into the Colosseum Skating Rink. At the end of 1911 it was converted into the Alhambra Cinema, but was soon renamed Palace of Varieties. By 1912 it was operated by Pat Collins and re-named Alhambra Cinema once again. In December 1927 it was sold to Miles Jervis. In 1933 it was sold to Sheridan Film Services and they proposed plans to demolish and rebuild the cinema.
The new Alhambra Cinema was designed by architect Ernest S. Roberts of architectural firm Satchwell & Roberts. Inside the auditorium there was seating provided in stalls and circle levels, and on the side walls were large painted murals depicting woodland scenes. It opened on 8th April 1935 with Gracie Fields in “Sing As We Go”. It was equipped with a RCA sound system and the proscenium was 30ft wide. In 1952 it was taken over by Miles Jervis II, the son of Miles Jervis.
In the early-1960’s it began a bingo operation on Sundays (cinemas in Tipton were not allowed to open on a Sunday). The Alhambra Cinema closed on 3rd August 1963 with Barabara Windsor in “Sparrows Can’t Sing”. It was converted into a warehouse for G.A. Nicholas Ltd. and the auditorium was stripped of its decorations. It was demolished in May 1989. In 2016 the site is a parking lot for a daycare centre which has been built at the rear of the lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater