334 Dakota Avenue S.,
No one has favorited this theater yet
According to the archives of the Evening Huronite, S.A. Goethel opened the Lyric Theatre February 6, 1921.
In September 1921 the Huronite reported the Lyric Theatre cancelled the contract for the pictures of Roscoe ‘Fatty’ Arbuckle, awaiting the outcome of his trial. Not a strange event because thousand of theatres across the country were doing the same. For those not familiar with the Arbuckle scandal, Fatty was cleared of all charges and did not regain his career except when working under a pseudonym.
In April 1927 Mr. Goethel sold the Lyric Theatre to A.B. Leak, who had been district manager for Publix Theatres in the Minnesota territory. Mr. Leak announced that he would show Paramount-Famous-Lasky pictures and Publix took out a large advertisement in the Huronite congratulating him. In May 1928 Arthur Leak and Al Goethel merged the Lyric Theatre, Bijou Theatre and State Theatre into the Northwest Theatre Circuit, Inc. Film Daily Year Book 1929 lists Northwest Theatre Circuit with 126 theaters in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
The 280-seat Lyric Theatre closed October 13, 1929, and its program moved to the Bijou Theatre, a Publix theatre, which had been closed since August 1928.
The building was later remodeled into the Burg Department Store and most recently has been Yessica’s Restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater