1259 Whitehall Mall,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Plaza Theater opened July 8, 1966 at the Whitehall Mall as a single screen. The theater was actually opened before the Mall was, and there were large plastic sheets to stop people from going into the construction area inside the mall. The first film shown there was “The Glass Bottom Boat” with Doris Day and Rod Taylor.
On June 22, 1979 a second screen was added and it became the Plaza Twin. That’s probably where the 1,200 seats came from as it wasn’t all that big. 600 seats in each auditorium seems correct. It opened as a Budco theater but was converted to AMC after the merger. where it was run as an “second run” theater
It was sold to the Roxy Managment Co. in 1996 and became a third run theater, and seats went for $1. The Roxy Management Co. closed it in 1999. It’s interior was gutted and combined with an unused section of the old Lea’s and converted in to an Gold’s Gym location the mall interior. The facade was kept intact after the conversion.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater