1025 Stoutsville Pike,
1 person favorited this theater
Circleville, Ohio’s first auto theatre to open was the Starlight Cruise-In on September 18, 1949. When it opened it did a test run of the theatre and included free admission to enter. It was built on eight acres of farmland by Harley E. Bennett, (dba Movie Amusements Inc. of Circleville). The grand opening was on September 20, 1949, screening the 1946 musical “Three Little Girls in Blue” with June Haver, Vivian Blame, Celeste Holm and George Montgomery. In addition to the film were short subjects and a cartoon. The new airier featured 40 ft. x 50 ft. screen tower with capacity of 325 cars along with in-a-car speakers. Eventually the screen was widened for screening CinemaScope movies in the 1950’s.
In November of 1969, Bennett bought the North Auto from Willian E. Ballou. Ballou who opened the North Auto Theatre in July of 1957. Harley E. Bennett died in 1979. Alan Teicher, (dba Teicher Theatres) took over the operation of both outdoor theatres in 1980. The Starlight Drive-In finally closed at the end of season for good in 1986. The theatre was demolished and the property was returned back into farmland.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater