North Auto Theatre
2375 N. Court Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The beginnings of the North Auto Theatre started at the Blue Bird Auto Theatre in Uniontown, Ohio, which opened on July 12, 1940. It was opened by Eugene A. Ballou. It was one of the very early auto theatres to open in Ohio. It was short-lived and closed in 1950. The property and equipment was auctioned off. In 1948, Eugene A. Ballou and his son, William F. Ballou, made plans to construct another auto theatre in Circleville, Ohio. In 1956, Ballou announced plans to start construction of a new auto theatre to be named the “North Star”. When the theatre opened it was not named the North Star.
The North Auto Theatre opened on July 3, 1957. The new airer screened the 1955 western “The Indian Fighter” with Kirk Douglas, Elsa Martinelli and Walter Matthau. The second feature was the 1956 comedy/romance “The Ambassador’s Daughter” with Olivia de Havilland, John Forsythe and Myrna Loy. The new ozoner had capacity of 275 cars with in-a-car speakers along with a CinemaScope screen tower. Ballou over the years made improvements to his airer such as installing new playground equipment in front of the screen tower in 1958. Before the reopening in 1961, he installed new kitchen equipment in the concession stand.
In November of 1969, he sold the North Auto Theatre to Harley E. Bennett, (dba Movie Amusements Inc.). He was also operating the Starlight Cruise-In. Harley E. Bennett died in 1979. Alan Teicher, (dba Teicher Theatres) took over the operation of both outdoor theatres in 1980. The North Auto finally closed end of season for good in 1982. The theatre was demolished and the property is now the home of the Faith Baptist Church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater