World's Dream Theatre
1413-1415 Market Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The very first full-time movie theatre with seats in St. Louis was the $1,000 World’s Dream Theatre. Architect Louis Hormann created a space with 140 folding chairs and room for 200 more to stand opening October 17, 1906 by John Karzin. Karzin had started in the industry by operating the Miller Bros. Penny Arcade and went on to found the McKinley Amusement Company which started numerous St. Louis theatres and airdromes including the Casino Theatre, Royal Theatre and Majestic Theatre.
The theatre was also advertised as “World’s Theatre”. G.K. Dubis took over the venue and would remodel in 1914 with 200 fixed seats. He closed it October 31, 1914. It was then taken over by John Francis of Decatur, IL who remodeled it and it reopened as the Amuse-U Theatre for a very short period into 1915. The building was retrofitted into retail use and it become the Fit-Well Shoe Store in 1916.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater