60 Logie Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: J.B. Milne Theatres
Previous Names: B & B People's Picture Palace, Oxford Picture House
Located in the district of Lochee, to the northwest of the city centre. The Peoples Picture Palace was built in 1911 and opened in 1912 as the B & B People’s Picture House. In 1914 it was taken over by a new operator and re-named Oxford Picture House.
In November 1928 it was taken over by A.E. Binnall and was reconstructed to become the Astoria Theatre, opening with Milton Sills in “The Hawks Nest” & Charles Murray in “Vamping Venus”. It was equipped with a British Acoustic(BA) sound system. It had a 20ft deep stage and three dressing rooms. In 1936 it was purchased by Charles Gray who operated in until it was closed in 1977. Although for a while in the mid-1950’s, it was operated by the J.B. Milne Theatres chain.
The building was purchased by Dundee City Council for road improvements which never took place, and it was demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.