RKO 23rd Street Theatre
265 Eighth Avenue,
5 people favorited this theater
This RKO 23rd Street Theatre was on the NW corner with Eighth Avenue and had the address of 265 Eighth Avenue. It was the second RKO 23rd Street Theatre. The first one was the original Proctor’s 23rd Street Theatre, between Sixth and Seventh Avenues, at 139 West 23rd Street, built in 1888. That Proctor’s 23rd Street Theatre had become outmoded, so RKO purchased the larger and better situated Grand Opera House (formerly Pike’s Opera House, built in 1868) and had architect Thomas Lamb Associates convert it into an ultramodern theatre. Much of the ornamentation on the exterior of the building was removed for the new RKO theatre.
The theatre opened August 4, 1938 with “Having a Wonderful Time” and “Sky Giant”
The theatre closed June 15, 1960, to be demolished for another building. It was destroyed by a fire on June 29, 1960. Later, RKO built what become the third RKO 23rd Street theatre further west on 23rd Street.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater