46 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire. The Regal Cinema was a conversion of part of a former flour mill and auction room, some of which had previously been converted into the Pavilion Cinema (later Rex Cinema) which has its own page on Cinema Treasures.
The Regal Cinema was opened by Robert Beresford on 15th June 1931, and it shared its entrance with the Pavilion Cinema, which he also operated. It also had another entrance on Pepper Street. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. In October 1946 it was taken over by the South Morris chain of S.M. Super Cinemas and was re-named Rio Cinema. S.M. Super Cinemas were taken over by the Newcastle-upon-Tyne based Essoldo Cinemas chain on 26th August 1954.
The Rio Cinema was closed due to structural defects on 24th October 1971. The roof and passageways collapsed (which caused its neighbour the Rex Cinema to also close). The last film to be screened was “La Mans” starring Steve McQueen. It never re-opened. (The Rex Cinema did re-open and operated another year by the Classic Cinemas chain who now owned both cinemas). Both cinemas were demolished in March/April 1976. A Lloyds Bank now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater