Circle Theatre

4472 Dr. Martin Luther King Drive,
St. Louis, MO 63113

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Showing 2 comments

Aaron_DeClue
Aaron_DeClue on June 14, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Here is an article on a robbery of a bank next door to the theatre on April 5, 1920. The robber hid in the theater from police and the Post Dispatch has a nice map of the theater layout drawn out.

http://kenzimmermanjr.com/easton-taylor-trust-robbery/

JAlex
JAlex on May 1, 2006 at 5:34 am

Original name was the EASTON-TAYLOR. Shortened to EASTON during the early-30s. Final name, CIRCLE, appeared in September 1936 when house began to be operated by the Kaimann chain.

Building permit issued in 1910. Capacity of the house was 580. Architect of record was W. P. McMahon.

In 1943 theatre became a Black-movie house.

House operated until December 1951, when the projectionists of Local 143-A went on strike at all Black-movie theatres. Strike was settled in a few weeks but Circle apparently didn’t reopen as no further ads appeared.