Rink Picture House
118 Windmill Lane,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in Smethwick, Staffordshire, today a district in the west of Greater Birmingham. On this site was originally erected a timber-framed building, clad in pressed metal sheeting, that opened on 4th September 1909 as a skating rink. It was designed by local architect G. Bowden.
In 1912 it was purchased by Irving Bosco and alterations were made to convert it into a 1,500-seat cinema, which opened on 6th April 1912 as the Rink Picture House.
It was acquired by Mr. Shapeero of Nottingham in 1920 and in March 1928 it was taken over by Denman Picture Houses who were part of the mighty Gaumont British Theatres chain.
The Rink Picture House was demolished in November 1929 and work began to build a new modern cinema on the site. That was opened by Gaumont British Theatres as the Rink Cinema on 7th July 1930 (and has its own page on Cinema Treasures as the Gaumont Smethwick)
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater