N. Main Street and E. 3rd Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The DeLuxe Theatre launched March 27, 1920 on a 20-year lease in downtown St. John. It vanquished the competing Palace Theatre which had just moved to the local convention center. It made the transition to sound and was the town’s only movie after the Palace Theatre closed in 1921.
Under new operation by Warren L. Weber, the theatre got new life under its next 20-year lease. Weber hired Al Hautter of Kansas City to give the venue a Streamlined Modern style or or Art Deco style facade and interior reopening as the Pix Theatre in 1940. The theatre transitioned to Glen Dickinson whose Dickinson Circuit operated it to its closing at the end of its lease in March of 1960.
Dickinson subleased the theatre which had sporadic operation in the early-1960’s. Dickinson donated the theatre which became a youth center called “The New Angle”. The center got its name because the city had insufficient revenue to change the sloping floors after removing the seats. Rock and country bands played on the stage while patrons danced on the sloping floors.
It appears that the building housing the theatre on the city square is no longer there but that could be in error.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater