No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Halesowen, Worcestershire. The Lyttleton Cinema was an independent cinema built for and operated by Sidney Bray. Designed by architect Edward Wilford in an Art Deco style, the facade of the building featured a brick tower on the left which had a vertical fin sign with the cinema name. The central section was clad in cream faiance tiles. The auditorium had seating provided in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 44ft wide and it had a British Acoustic(BA) sound system. The Lyttleton Cinema was opened on 11th April 1938 with Flora Robson in “Farewell Again”.
In the autumn of 1973 the cinema was sold to Ladbrokes, but continued as a cinema until it obtained a gaming licence for bingo. The Lyttleton Cinema was closed on 1st June 1974 with Eric Morecambe & Ernie Wise in “The Intelligence Men” & Sidney James in “Bless This House”. The bingo club was not a success, and films returned for four nights a week. In January 1976 it returned to full time cinema use. The final films were shown on 27th September 1976: Gene Hackman in “The Poseidon Adventure” & Robert Redford in “The Hot Rock”. It re-opened as a bingo club which operated until closing in early-1989. It was demolished on 6th February 1989. A block of sheltered housing flats was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater