Alexandra Palace Cinema
1 person favorited this theater
Located in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent in the Potteries area of Staffordshire. Originally built before 1909 as a skating rink. It was named Electric Pictures at the Skating Rink from 12th January 1911 and skating continued until March 1911. It was briefly renamed the Panoptican Theatre presenting bioscope and vaudeville, with seating for 2,000. It became the Alexandra Picture Palace in May 1911. It was badly damaged by a fire in 1926 and was rebuilt to the plans of architectural firm Wood & Goldstraw, reopening in 1927 as the Alexandra Palace Cinema. The proscenium was 36ft wide and the stage 12ft deep. There were three dressing rooms
In 1930 it was leased to the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain for five years. In 1935 it was taken over by an independent operator. It was equipped with CinemaScope in September 1954, presenting Richard Burton in “The Robe”. The Alexandra Palace Cinema was closed on 24th August 1957 with Robert Wagner in “Between Heaven and Hell”. Around 1960 it became a bingo club for a while.
In the late-1980’s and into the early-1990’s it operated as the very successful Shelly’s nightclub. It was closed by the police on 31st October 1992 due to drug dealing and anti-social behavour. It has since been demolished and a Lidl supermarket now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater