N. Lafayette Street and E. Haythorne Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Terre Haute’s first airer to open was just named the “Drive-In” which was common practice back in the early days of drive-in theatres. The Drive-In opened on May 22, 1948, screening the 1947 western “Gun Fighters” with Randolph Scott, Barbara Britton and Dorothy Hart. The new drive-in theatre was opened by Ohio interests Harold Boedeker, Leslie Judd, Stewart Sheldon and Elizabeth Ochs (dba) Terre Haute Drive-In Theatre Company. Ochs a well-known theatre operator in Dayton, Ohio, and Indiana was also included in the listing. The drive-in was built on leased land from Robert Connelly, (dba Terre Haute Gravel Company) for 7-½ years with an option for 7 more years. It had a car capacity of 640 cars with in-a-car speakers. The estimated cost of the drive-in was $150,000.
On April 5, 1951, the Drive-In was renamed to the Terre Haute Drive-In Theatre along with a new operator, the Y & W Management Corporation from Indianapolis, IN. The Terre Haute Drive-In featured a kiddy land, free pony rides, a go cart track and miniature golf course in addition to the drive-in. The Terre Haute Drive-In got renamed again on August 15, 1961, this time it is now the North Drive-In Theatre.
When the theatre reopened for 1968 season it did with a new operator, the Fourth Avenue Amusement Company from Louisville, Kentucky. Unfortunately the lease for the property was about up and it did not get renewed. The theatre closed for good on November 23, 1968 at that location. The Fourth Avenue Amusement Company moved the North Drive-In theatre to a new location to be reopened for the 1969 movie season. Since the property was still owned by Terre Haute Gravel Company at this time, it has been used as a borrow pit.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater