Erlanger Theatre

127 N. Clark Street,
Chicago, IL 60602

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 4 comments

Broan
Broan on December 9, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Further research on films played at the Erlanger on a roadshow basis – presented in a theatrical manner, with reserved seats and scheduled showtimes, twice a day:

Oct 30-Dec 24 1927 – “Wings” – played 8 weeks (including special sound effects exclusive to only a few theaters) Feb 26-Mar 24 1928 – Cecil B. Demille’s “The King of Kings” – played 4 weeks Jan 15-Jan 28 1933 – Cecil B. Demille’s “Sign of the Cross” – played 2 weeks Feb 12-Mar 19 1933 – “Cavalcade” – played 5 weeks Apr 12-Jul 11, 1933 – “The Great Ziegfeld” – played 13 weeks, noted as the longest roadshow run in Chicago since “Birth of a Nation” Aug 30-Oct 3, 1936 – “Romeo & Juliet” – played 5 weeks Mar 18-April 1937 – Capra’s “Lost Horizon” – played 4 weeks May 9, 1937-? – “Captains Corageous” Aug 8-Aug 28, 1937 – The Firefly 2 weeks Aug 29-Sept 18? 1937 – “The Life of Emile Zola”

In 1939, management considered abandoning legitimate performances and turning the theater into a grindhouse, but ultimately decided not to.

Broan
Broan on December 5, 2018 at 9:11 pm

On February 8, 1914 at the Palace, as part of his vaudeville act, Windsor McKay debuted “Gertie the Dinosaur”, one of the world’s first animated films and the first to be animated using keyframe and many other important animation techniques. The film has great importance in animation history. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/gertie-the-dinosaur-1914-animated-cartoon

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on December 5, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Thank you for the additional history. 1962 photo added along with two print ads from 1927 & 1936.

Broan
Broan on December 5, 2018 at 7:16 pm

The sign read Palace Theatre during construction, but was quickly changed to Palace Music Hall, probably to avoid confusion with other Palace Theatres. It was part of the Orpheum circuit, and on completion of the New (now Cadillac) Palace, passed to Erlanger. The Palace Music Hall showed several pictures during its early years, often during summer months when not showing vaudeville. In 1913 Edison Kinetophone “talking pictures” were shown here and at the Orpheum’s Majestic, though the synchronization was not very successful. In 1914, Lyman Howe’s Panama Canal pictures were shown. Other films were later shown intermittently as part of Erlanger’s early road show picture policy.