State Theatre

181 Montcalm Street,
Ticonderoga, NY 12883

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 9 comments

gd14lawn
gd14lawn on April 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm

The State Theatre opened in June of 1937. The original marquee featured 800 incandescent bulbs and “countless yards of neon tubing”.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on April 16, 2009 at 4:00 pm

This was the State Theater 1983.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on April 16, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.

State Theater (added 1999 – Building – #92000454)
Also known as The Playhouse
Essex County – 18 Montcalm St., Ticonderoga
(less then 1 acres, 1 building)

Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
Architect, builder, or engineer: Kallet-Comerford Corp.
Architectural Style: Art Deco, Classical Revival
Area of Significance: Architecture, Entertainment/Recreation
Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Owner: Private
Historic Function: Recreation And Culture
Historic Sub-function: Theater
Current Function: Vacant/Not In Use

jflundy
jflundy on February 4, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for the correction Warren. I missed that “t” in the ad print.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 4, 2009 at 11:59 am

The circuit was called Kallet Theatres (not Kalle). It was a family-owned company headed, in 1945, by M.J. Kallet, according to the Film Daily Year Book edition of that year. At that time, Kallet operated 36 theatres in Upper New York State, with headquarters in Oneida, where it ran the Kallet, Madison, and Regent Theatres.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 4, 2009 at 11:59 am

The circuit was called Kallet Theatres (not Kalle). It was a family-owned company headed, in 1945, by M.J. Kallet, according to the Film Daily Year Book edition of that year. At that time, Kallet operated 36 theatres in Upper New York State, with headquarters in Oneida, where it ran the Kallet, Madison, and Regent Theatres.

jflundy
jflundy on February 4, 2009 at 11:21 am

In January 1945 the State Theater was part of the Kalle chain:
View link

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 22, 2007 at 8:47 am

In his 1987 book, “Great American Movie Theaters,” David Naylor reported that the theatre first opened in 1916: “Entry to the State is marked by an Art Deco marquee attached to its original Greek Revival street facade. The theater was known as the Playhouse before a renovation in 1937 for movie showings. At that time, the classical decor of the interior was revamped along Moderne lines. Of special note were the new light fixtures, formed by strips of glass and illuminated in a variety of colors. Although the State was twinned in 1984, the current owner has announced plans to restore this last old theater in town to its 1937 appearance.”

joemasher
joemasher on April 4, 2004 at 7:02 pm

The State was taken over in the early 90’s by a theatre employee who de-twinned it (piggyback configuration) and was restoring it. One night, about 10 or 12 years ago now, the theatre collapsed.