1301 Surf Avenue,
15 people favorited this theater
The Loew’s Coney Island Theatre seated 2,472 when it opened on June 17, 1925 with Blanche Sweet and Ronald Colman in “The Sporting Venus”. It was designed by architectural firm Reilly & Hall, with Samuel Lewis Malkind as associate architect. The Loew’s Coney Island Theatre had a large fully equipped stage and a large theatre organ. There was a ballroom located on the second floor and offices on the upper floors. Renovations were carried out in summer of 1947. It was taken over by the Brandt Theatres circuit in May 1964 and was renamed Shore Theatre. In January 1966, film use had ceased and live theatre was presented, eventually going over to burlesque, but this was a short lived venture, and films returned. In 1967 there were 1,314-seats in the orchestra, 336-seats in the mezzanine and 650-seats in the balcony.
By 1971, the Shore Theatre had begun running X-Rated adult movies and was possibly closed around March 1973. It has remained unused and empty ever since. In December 2010 it was designated a city landmark building.
On the evening of October 29, 2012, the historic ‘Shore’ blade sign on the front right hand side of the theatre was badly damaged by Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy and it has been removed.
The Shore Theatre was sold in January, 2016, with the new owner planning to restore it and possibly bring back live entertainment, and convert the office block into a hotel.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater