39-43 North Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Alhambra Theatre opened as a music-hall, built for comedian Dan Lowery, in 1871 but was damaged by fire in March 1873 and had to rebuilt. It reopened on 8th September 1873 and had a balcony around three sides of the auditorium. It had a 30ft wide proscenium. Harry Lauder and Vesta Tilley were among the leading artists of the day to appear on stage. It was sold to Willy Ashcroft in 1879 and later to the New Alhambra Theatre Company. It was refurbished at the turn of the last century and reopened on 24th December 1900. Although films were screened as early as 1907 as part of the variety programme, it eventually became a full-time cinema by 1936, being taken over by the Rank Organisation in 1955. The Alhambra Theatre was gutted by fire on 10th September 1959. An office block called Temple Court now occupies the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater