902 S. Florala Highway 331,
1 person favorited this theater
The Dixieland Drive-In was opened on March 12, 1952 with a capacity of 300 cars, owner P. P. Jeffcoat, who also owned the Midway Drive-In near Opp. John Young sold the Dixieland Drive-In to George S. Owen in May 1955. Motion Picture Almanacs listed its capacity as 350 cars. It was later purchased by the Ward family, then sold to Fred T. McLendon of Union Springs. It was also part of Southern Theatres out of Union Springs owned by Phil T. Richardson, Fred’s son-in-law. In September 1975 the original wood and slate screen was demolished by hurricane Eloise. It was replaced by a metal screen, which today can be found at Wicksurg, AL.
The Dixieland Drive-In made a final appearance in the MPA drive-in list in 1965 but it continued to operate until closing in fall of 1983. Phil Richardson sold the drive-in, screen, concession stand and booth to a local who built a church on the property. Its location is now a gas company and a Pizza Hut restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater