1502 Commerce Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
On May 9, 2019, historian Carol Roark, writing in the Star-Telegram, took a look back at the Gayety Theatre, which stood on the fringe of downtown.
Louis Richker and L. B. Lewis opened the Gayety Theatre in 1920 with “The Great Air Robbery”, and by 1926 it was listed in Film Daily Year Book with 300 seats.
The second-run theatre distinguished itself among 24 other Fort Worth theatres in 1945 with such sensational fare as “Devil’s Harvest", about the dangers of smoking marijuana. “Youth Aflame” and “Child Bride” followed this at the Gayety Theatre, then listed with 250 seats.
In 1965 it was among blocks of buildings that were leveled for the new convention center, which opened in 1968. The historical location was on a corner at 1501 Main Street, an address that no longer exists and today would be near the center of the Fort Worth Water Gardens, built in 1974.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater