3107 Sutton Boulevard,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Powhatan Theatre was located on Sutton Boulevard between Elm Street and James Street. It was open from at least 1915 and seated 566. It was an indoor and outdoor theatre. The outdoor screen was used in summer, because the theatre was not air conditioned. The outdoor part was all gravel and people brought their own chairs. Parents would also bring their children in wagons to watch the show. It was built by the Franchon & Marco Theatres and later became an Arthur Theatre.
This was a single floor neighborhood house that served a densely populated area. Rather a plain theatre with a small lobby and single aisle down the center of the auditorium. Even after the Maplewood Theatre opened the Powhatan Theatre did well until television and then attendance fell and all attention was given to the bigger sister theatre the Maplewood Theatre.
At the end, the same manager operated both theatres since they faced each other across the bus turnaround. The Powhatan Theatre closed in 1949, and was demolished in 1965.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater