66 Linacre Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Litherland district in the north Liverpool at the corner of Linacre Road and Hapsford Road. The Coliseum Picture House was opened on 28th February 1921 with Ronald Colman in “The Toilers”. Seating was provided for 1,142 in the stalls and 300 in the circle. There was a cafe lounge for the conveniences of its patrons. The cafe was closed in May 1929 when it suffered damage from a fire. The cinema was closed for a month in May 1931 for redecoration and the installation of a Western Electric(WE) sound system. The first ‘talkie’ to be screened was Ramon Navarro in “Call of the Flesh”.
In 1933 it was taken over by the Regent Enterprises Ltd. chain. In March 1938 it was taken over by the Southan Morris chain of S.M. Super Cinemas. On the 26th August 1954 they were taken over by the Newcastle based Essoldo circuit and it was re-named Essoldo. On 8th November 1954 it was equipped with CinemaScope and screened Richard Burton in “The Robe” as a first run district cinema.
In the early-1960’s bingo was played on Sunday & Thursday evenings, and the Essoldo screened its last films on 14th September 1963 playing Charlton Heston in “Secret of the Incas” & Audie Murphy in “Guns of Fort Petticoat”.
It was taken over by Top Flight Leisure and converted into a bingo club, using the stalls only, with the circle sectioned off with a false ceiling. The Coliseum Bingo Club was closed in September 1983 when a fire damaged the auditorium and roof. The building stood empty and deteriorating until in was demolished in 1990. Housing was built on the site in 1997.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater