No one has favorited this theater yet
The Grenada Theatre was the long-running main theatre for the town. Its roots appear to date back to its formative years as Mullin Hall Opera House, a 600-seat venue which launched on New Year’s Day in 1885. Refurbished in 1900 it would become known as the Grenada Opera House. A much more major refresh in 1916 led to a relaunch on November 16th as the new Grenada Opera House. During this period, the theatre would switch to motion pictures and dominate film exhibition locally.
In 1922 Homer J. Williams took on the theatre. He would go on to create The Grenada Circuit of about a dozen theatres including two in Grenada and locations including Sardis, Sanatobia, and Batesville. In 1929, he installed Vitaphone and an improved sound system the next year to play talking pictures. In 1935, he updated the Grenada Theatre to a more Streamline Modern style.
Williams built the Pix Theater opening it on the square about a block from the Grenada Theatre in 1940. The two theatre’s served as the primary White theatres in town while the Union Theatre was its primary African American house. Williams closed the Pix Theatre and the Grenada Theatre continued still advertising in 1966 and may have continued into the 1970’s. The town got a new build twin cinema in the 1970’s which - if it hadn’t already - would have ended the Grenada Theatre’s long run.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater