1 person favorited this theater
The Regal Cinema was built in 1936 for VEH Cinemas Ltd. and was purely a cinema. It had an original seating capacity of 566.
It was saved from closure in 1972 by the District Council who added a platform stage in front of the screen; together with a dressing room suite at the rear of the building and converted the rear stalls seats (it is built on the stadium plan) into a bar. It is still mainly used for screen entertainment but gets the occasional live one night act or local amateur weeks.
It now has 234 seats, a thrust stage measuring 7.5mtrs by 6mtrs and two large dressing rooms at the rear of the building.
The screen, at the rear of the stage is still housed in the original (though plain) proscenium. An arson fire at the screen end in September 2009, put the cinema out of action for several months. Renovations were carried out and the Regal Theatre has re-opened.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater