Burkes Road and Gregories Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally a Town Hall which was operating by 1911. It was also a public hall which operated as Burkes Hall where dances, plays and other functions took place. By 1921 it had been screening films as the Picture House, and was closed in late-November 1921 to enable the installation of a new generator and a second projector. It re-opened on 16th February 1922. It was operated by Charles Cheshir.
The Picture House was closed in September 1927 when the new Picture House on Station Road opened (it was later re-named Chiltern Cinema and has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
The ‘old’ Picture House reverted back into use as a dance hall with a perfectly sprung floor.
It was demolished in 1965 and a block of offices & shops named Cardain House was built on the site. There was a plaque on the building which commemorated the ‘old’ Picture House, but it seems to have been removed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater