Harford Theatre

2616-2620 Harford Road,
Baltimore, MD 21218

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Harford Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Located in the middle of the block stands the old Harford Theatre. Opened in 1916 the theatre seated 500. The interior as well as the exterior was a Neo Classical style and it was designed by architect A. Lowther Forrest.

In 1920 it was re-modeled and enlarged to the designs of Ewald Blanke and John Zink and had a new seating capacity of 700. In 1921 a 2Manual Moller organ (Opus 2987) was installed.

The theatre lasted as a movie house until 1960. It re-opened as the Harford Art Theatre in 1962 but closed for good in 1963. Nothing has changed in the structure of the building since it closed. It became a church after closing as a movie theatre and is still the same today.

Contributed by Chuck Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on August 28, 2005 at 1:17 am

In 1920 the Harford Theatre was re-modeled to plans by architects Ewald Blanke and John Zink. It lasted as a regular movie house until 1960. It re-opened as the Harford Arts Theatre in 1962, but closed for good in 1963.

randytheicon
randytheicon on May 31, 2009 at 1:08 pm

The old marquee remained on the building for some years. The Harford did reopen as an adult theatre in the early 1970s, but only briefly.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 25, 2015 at 6:09 am

An architect field needs to be created on this page listing A. Lowther Forrest, Ewald Blanke, and John Zink. Forrest’s involvement in the project was noted in the April 22, 1916, issue of Motography. The owner of the project was Vincent A. Valentine, and the size of the building was originally 32 x 90 feet.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater